Skip to main content

The dark roads to Selong

It's my first visit to Lombok, Nusa Tenggara Barat, Indonesia, and to be frank, I wasn't really expecting much since the nature of my visit was purely business from the start. And no, it wasn't to the more famous city of Mataram but rather this time I went to its supposedly twin city, Selong.

But you know me, I've always tried to at least get to know the city I visit by just strolling around the vicinity of the hotel I stayed in, just to get the feel of the city. This time though was different, I didn't. We'll get back to that later.

I heard and did a little look up on what I was heading to and confirmed the airport was a new and shiny one, as you see here in the picture to your right. The paint and windows are still clean and clear, the lights still working and bright, so it's a good first impression to any first-time tourists or visitors.

The flight I took was scheduled to arrive at BANDAR UDARA INTERNASIONAL LOMBOK late evening so being new to the island, I arranged for someone to pick me up. It's a good thing I did cause what I found out most of the roads we need to go through to Selong was dark with minimum lights which means practically no road signs visible. Only those who are familiar with the roads from months of regular passing can take on the one hour drive with blind eyes and without any trouble of adding unnecessary travel time from having to stop a lot to ask for directions from Google maps or another human being, if present that is. And even if there are any human around present, don't think I would want to ask for directions in the dark of the late evening.

So on we went and got there finally after the dark ride to the city of Selong. It's not a big city so not so much night life going on the streets, only a few teenagers with girlfriends having a very late dinner. Hardly any tall buildings in sight as I was taken to the hotel to spend the nights during my visit so I shouldn't be surprised to find that in fact the hotel I'm about to stay in was more of a big house with plenty of rooms. With a view of a big football field just across the house, I'm not really keen to go out and stroll around the neighborhood. But it's quiet though, so no complains there.

W. S.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tarakan Wash Tank

Another trip, another dip into the depths of Indonesia's rich history. From precolonial era as early in the 4th century with the hardly known Indianized kingdom of Kutai Martadipura in East Kalimantan to the more recent -not also really well known- era of struggle to reform in Reformasi in the late 90's, Indonesia's vast history is as mystical and intriguing as The Lord of the Rings trilogy, the French Revolution, and Harvey Specter's mind all combined in one savory banana split sundae. How to really work that one out is rather out of the mood at the moment, so let me just say that's just how it is.

However, recently I had the chance to visit the island-city of Tarakan in North Kalimantan, which was once the stage of more than one battle in the Pacific War. It was here on January 11, 1942, a day after the Empire of Japan declared war on the Kingdom of the Netherlands, Japan first attacked the Dutch colonized Indonesia and went on further to successfully set its co…

Sang Pencerah

at Docklands 11:59 pm, December 31, 2010

Les Misérables - One Day More

How wide the divide

My mother-in-law is ninety-five years old. She has lived through several wars and numerous other cataclysmic events in her life. Nothing has her more perplexed, shocked, and almost emotionally stunned as the culture wars that have been waged and have changed our world. I see her sitting in church when I am visiting her, obviously wondering why all of her past memories have been lost in the present format of worship. She is not at home either in the world or in her church and eagerly awaits the day when she can be in the City of God, her eternal home. What has changed? How did we get here? As Nietzsche would say, “Is there any up or down left? Who gave us a sponge to wipe away the horizon? Will lanterns have to be lit in the morning hours? What sacred games will we need to invent?” Yes, a century ago these times were imagined and they are now here. While the secular world has invented its secular games, many churches have invented their own “sacred” games. The most daunting question fo…

iPhone 4S: iPhone for sorrow?

Prismatic

How to start is in a way problematic
Yes relationship of two is enigmatic
Being different is the characteristic
of individuals being made so specific

Personal experiences historic
Stories of life-lived so dramatic
With past relationships ironic
Makes a thousand-piece mosaic
Scattered all messy and chaotic
Until altogether being artistic
Finding each other so aesthetic
A blessing worthy being angelic
Inspiring, no use in being egoistic

Why sometimes I could be idiotic
Green sandals wrapped in plastic
Only to be forgotten in metallic
Sent you photos to be apologetic
You are as forgiving so seraphic

Climb up to see crater so scenic
On horses could be more majestic
Refreshed senses so naturalistic
Whoever made that is a puristic

Woke up to realize I am allergic
If not alarmed, already systemic
Didn't wake you to get pharmaceutic
I'd rather you asleep so silent a music

Left a note could now be a relic
Would you also keep it so iconic?
During breakfast we seem identic
Casually att…

Pictures from TPST Marunda

Jakarta needs some serious waste management to deal with. Now and fast. Garbage is known as one of the major problems of this city but never have I realized the seriousness of it, had I not visited the garbage dump of Marunda.
I had the opportunity to go there with the talented and blessed friends at C4EO (Care for Each Other), a charity community that seeks to share their lives to care for each other. Bless you the people at C4EO, may the Almighty bless all of your wonderful works.

And for Jakarta, remember this ever more important message:
"Jangan buang sampah sembarangan!"