Love Letters

Ka Mate Haka

In anticipation for the 2011 Rugby World Cup Final match this coming Sunday, France against New Zealand, I'm tempted to put up the Ka Mate here in the blog. 

All Blacks captain, Richie McCaw, leads the Haka

If you've ever seen a Haka performed by the All Blacks -the New Zealand rugby team, you'd probably think it's kinda barbaric somehow with all those gestures with the hands and feet, tongue sticking out, eyes piercing as if trying to eat out the hearts of their opposite number. You'd instinctively think that they're going to war, and that's also what I thought. Well in a way, yes.

You see Haka is a traditional Maori war dance performed by a group with "vigorous movements and stamping of the feet with rhythmically shouted accompaniment". It's been made popular by the All Blacks since they've been performing it in the face of their opponents before every match they played since 1906. You can take a guess what its purpose is and I doubt it's for friendly reasons. It's been criticized for being too outdated and not upholding sportsmanship for being too intimidating. Moreover, since the introduction of a new Haka in 2005 called the Kapa o Pango which includes a "throat-slitting" gesture in the end of the Haka. But since it's now already a history in the rugby sporting scene, it's just fine. Besides, it's not like their gonna spill real blood in the ball park. Well, wrong.

The last game I saw between the Wallabies (the Australian rugby team) and the All Blacks in the semi finals, exhibits brave full body contact action that resulted in some of the players had to be substituted for treatment because blood was pouring out of their noses and mouths like chocolate fountain. And not so different in the quarter finals game between France and England. I remember the England captain had to have his nose stitched on the field cause it was cut bad. Pretty cool, huh. 

That's why I guess the game is often referred to as the "men at work" game, whereas the Footy (the Aussie rules football) in rather a jesting tone is called the "boys at play". I'm just hearing stuff I guess but that's what I heard. So no offense to all footy fans. I've been to the MCG and watched the Carlton Blues play so I'm somehow also a fan.

So before I go astray too far, here it is, the Ka Mate:
"Ka Mate"
Leader:Ringa pakia!
Slap the hands against the thighs!

Uma tiraha!
Puff out the chest.

Turi whatia!
Bend the knees!

Hope whai ake!
Let the hip follow!

Waewae takahia kia kino!
Stomp the feet as hard as you can!




Leader:Ka mate, ka mate
I die, I die,
Team:Ka ora' Ka ora'
I live, I live,
Leader:Ka mate, ka mate
I die, I die
Team:Ka ora Ka ora
I live, I live,
All:Tēnei te tangata pūhuruhuru
This is the hairy man

Nāna i tiki mai whakawhiti te rā
...Who caused the sun to shine again for me

A Upane! Ka Upane!
Up the ladder, Up the ladder

Upane Kaupane
Up to the top

Whiti te rā!
The sun shines!

Hī!
Rise!

O yeah, although it's tough, I'm betting on the French to win it, they're more tactically effective. And I'm also one of those who would want the host nation to lose the world cup final on home soil and spoil the party :) But don't take my word, it's gonna be a feisty game so don't miss it. This Sunday. The 2011 RWC Final!

Second o yeah, I'm already considering of actually playing the game :D Any rugby clubs you know here in Jakarta?

Comments

  1. Join Jakarta Banteng Rugby Club. They Practice at Simprug Pertamina Field on Mon & Wed 7 PM.

    Follow @JakartaRugby for more info...

    Ps: i can introduce u to my friend, he's former captain of 2007 banteng rugby club :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for the info. Following @JakartaRugby as in now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment