Love Letters

No pictures in public places

You may notice the pictures used as background on the top and bottom of this page are mostly of public places. There's one picture of a train station, a subway station, an alley in the city, even the front side of a historical famous building. I took those pictures freely with no fear or hesitation, not knowing of any restrictions or regulations prohibiting me to do so. If there's any, I'd be more than happy -well, resentful- to abide with such regulations. Rules are rules, right. But is there?


None that I know of. At least, at that moment. But again, if there's any, I feel the necessity to question its existence. Like recently, I was prohibited to take pictures of the sidewalk in front of the Jakarta Stock Exchange building. What?!

I understand perfectly if the restrictions of taking pictures applies say inside of a private building like an office or some sort. Take the New York Stock Exchange for an example. They have every right I think to claim all rights for any picture taken of its trading floor and in a way enforce restriction. It's inside the building. But if you can't take pictures at a legitimate public place like the side walk in front of a particular building that's a little bit absurd. 

I am aware that the Jakarta Stock Exchange has suffered a car bomb attack in the past and perhaps taking pictures restrictions are made to maintain a high alert on security and to minimize any threats possible. I respect that but it's the sidewalk. A sidewalk. Me, pedestrian. I walk on the sidewalk. Is the sidewalk not public property? 

What do you think readers?

Is there any city regulation regarding taking pictures in public places? Should there? I wonder if I can take pictures outside of any other stock exchange building. I think you can take pictures in front of the White House, right? I don't know. What about the Istana Negara? Oh lots of questions.

Comments