Love Letters

Greater love hath no man

The Stone of Remembrance
I remember my first visit to the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne. It was after quite a while since I lived in Melbourne when I finally had the chance to come see this great war memorial. I recall Jack even said, "You're kidding right? This is your first time here?! Geez!!" Sadly it was, but the first of many, gratefully.

The shrine is a magnificent place to be really, it was dedicated originally as a memorial to the men and women of Victoria who served in the Great War of 1914-1918 (World War I) and is now to all Australians who served in war and peacekeeping duties ever since. The land site dedicated for this famous landmark is vast, you can build at least two (maybe three) shopping malls by Jakarta's standard. That's what stroke me first, grandeur as a whole. But as I further explore the shrine, I notice something else remarkable.

The marble Stone of Remembrance is located inside the shrine at the center of the sanctuary, it is engraved with the words "GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN". Those words seemed familiar to me at that time but I only kept it in heart. My hunch was later confirmed obviously after a little reading; those words are partly taken from John 15:13. Very suiting for a grand memorial for those who are willing to lay down their lives for others, don't you think.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"
Those powerful words came from a man whose resurrection from death we remember and celebrate this Sunday. A man who have done what he said, laid down his life for others on the cross, taking away the sin of the world, practicing the greatest love ever.

Happy Paskha.

Comments